Texas church massacre shooter was a dishonorably discharged Airforce vet

Devin P. Kelley, who was court martialed from the U.S. Air Force, was identified as the gunman who walked into the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, on Sunday morning and murdered at least 25 people, wounding many more.

The shooter’s name was reported through sources by The New York Times and CBS News; the latter gave his name as Devin Patrick Kelley, 26, and said the Air Force court martial occurred only three years ago. Although the motive was not yet clear, the gunman’s background included religious school work. The shooter, who is dead, left behind disturbing social media posts, including a Facebook page that showed off a rifle, calling it a “bad b*tch.”

The horrific mass shooting wounded almost everyone inside the small white church building in the town of only a few hundred people. Authorities in Sutherland Springs, Texas have confirmed that there are multiple casualties – as many as 25 were killed – after frantic social media reports described a man, now named as Kelley, 26, walking into the church in combat gear and shooting parishioners.

Other reports said as many as 27 had died. As many as 30 other people were injured, reported an ABC producer, which would mean that almost everyone in the tiny church building was shot. A KSAT-TV reporter at the scene said that an “ambu-bus” had responded, which is used to transport multiple victims. Pregnant women and young children were reportedly among the victims, including the 14-year-old daughter of the pastor, who was out of town when the mass shooting occurred.

Here’s what you need to know:

1. The Shooter,Taught Bible School

The shooter was “now ID’d by authorities; white male in his 20s from outside San Antonio,” reported Mike Levine, a journalist for ABC News. “Authorities are now scrubbing his social media; on Facebook in recent days, he showed off an AR-15 style-looking gun.” After opening fire inside the church, reports say, the gunman took off in a vehicle. Not soon after the shooting, though, he was also reported to be dead.